Brompton encourages riders to escape the city with new Explore edition
September 6, 2019 - by Adam Tranter Client News, Cycling
Brompton, the iconic folding bike company, has today announced the launch of their new Brompton Explore. Celebrating cycling’s inherent spirit of adventure, the Explore edition includes a 28L roll-top bag, an enhanced spares pouch and lower ratio 6-speed gearing to help riders to bust out of the city into the great outdoors.
Brompton riders have long pushed the boundaries of exploration. Pedalled around the world by Heinz Stucke, ridden at the South Pole by a research scientist and taken on countless adventures between Land’s End and John O’Groats, users have demonstrated that the Brompton’s robust design coupled with its compact fold makes it the perfect companion for long-distance trips.
Inspired by these trips, Brompton’s design and product teams set out to create a bike that was purpose-built for adventure. Tested by explorer Alastair Humphreys on a Scottish Highland odyssey and, er, Steve in Brompton’s design team when he wanted to find a more scenic route to the pub, the Explore edition has been carefully spec’d and kitted out to help riders get off the beaten track.
The new bike features a 6-speed groupset with reduced gearing, allowing riders to tackle more challenging terrain and deal with the increased kit weight. Including a custom 28L roll-top bag and special edition spares pouch, the Brompton Explore is loaded with essential accessories, to ensure you have everything you need to keep your adventure on track. All of this is finished in earthy hues inspired by the landscape, tan wall tyres and Brooks Cambium C17 All Weather Saddle to offer both function and form.
The only thing needed is the idea of where to go. Well actually Brompton have thought of that too as everyone who purchases an Explore bike will also receive a copy of Brompton’s new Explore book. Created with micro-adventurer Alastair Humphreys, this shows exactly what’s possible on the Brompton Explore and includes Brompton’s City Escape Guides with routes out of major cities to help inspire your next trip.
Commenting on the new model Joel Natale, Brompton’s Head of Product said: “Although the Brompton is most well recognised in the city, our global community has always used the bike to take trips further afield. The Brompton Explore provides unparalleled freedom to those with a sense of adventure, as it’s as simple as packing the bag and jumping on the nearest bus, train or plane to escape the city for a long weekend or perhaps just taking a more scenic route home from work”
- M or H Type handlebar: best for an extended time in the saddle
- 6 speed with 44T chainring: lower gear range aids climbing and luggage
- E-Version: no mudguards reduces weight and no risk of drag on gravel
- Brooks Cambium C17 All Weather Saddle in special Giallo finish: great all-round saddle
- Marathon Racer Tanwall folding tyres: best all-round tyre, now folding
- Gum rubber grips: softer compound for increased comfort
- Machined hinge-clamp levers
- Black Components
Luggage & Accessories
28L roll top Explore bag: big capacity with lots of sections, ready for any adventure
- Custom camouflage fabric
- Fidlock closures on rear pockets
- Integral water bottle sleeve
- Extra load strap system for securing other items
Explore pouch with spares and accessories: everything you need to keep on the go
- 2 Impac Inner Tubes
- 4 Spokes (2 front, 2 rear)
- 1 Chain Power Link
- Replacement Brake Pads (front and rear)
- Rim tape
- 1 3-Speed Gear Cable
- 1 Rear Brake Cable
- 1 folding Marathon Racer Folding Tanwall Tyre
- Brompton Toolkit with extra puncture repair patches
- Brompton Pump
The new Brompton Explore edition retails from £1,525. For more information on the new bike, and all of Brompton’s products, please visit:
To celebrate the launch, every Brompton Explore purchased from the UK online store – www.brompton.com will also receive a free ticket to one of Brompton’s exclusive launch events in either London or the Peak District taking place this Autumn. More details will be available on Brompton’s website shortly.
Adam founded Fusion Media in 2007 from a passion for cycling and the media. Over the last ten years, he has successfully grown the company to lead the way in communicating cycling and endurance sport to the mainstream. Adam was a former racing cyclist and has also worked as a freelance journalist, contributing to cycling and national publications, including BBC News during London 2012. He is passionate about getting more people on bikes.
- A New Vision To Colour The Road – Le Col Unveil Vibrant and Technical Kit for DROPS Le Col Team
- Raleigh Launch Bold New Hoppa & Classics Leisure Bikes
- Evans Cycles and Raleigh help one of Britain’s oldest paperboys, 80, postpone retirement with gifted electric bike
- The All-Party Parliamentary Group for Cycling & Walking appoints Fusion Media to support its work powering change in Westminster and beyond
- Beryl E-Scooters Arrive In Bournemouth and Poole
- Industry Leaders Launch New Cycling Marketing Board
- Wahoo Launch New ELEMNT RIVAL GPS Watch